Wednesday, March 24, 2010

LA LA LAND with a little bit of 90210

It's been awhile since my last blog so this might be a bit long so hopefully you can sit through all of it. The last thing I wrote about was Santa Monica and Venice beach.
Alright so a few days after that my girl Ella calls and says she had the day off and asked if I want to meet her down at Santa Monica on Tuesday. So I am up early, on the bus and at the beach by 10:30 am.  What a beautiful morning it was. It was so hot, one of the hottest days since I had arrived and there was a music video being shot on the Santa Monica Pier Bridge.  We found a vacant spot on the sand and sprawled out - for 4 hours - I wasn't ready to leave when Ella wanted to but by the time I got off the bus I was glad she did because I was a little red.  Well actually, I looked like a lobster, but now I am a nice brown :)
A few days later (Thursday) my flat mate Dallas and I decided to rent a car for two days so we could get some resumes out.  We hired a car from Rent a Reck, and what a Reck it was.  It was two shades of green,  the gas pedal was stiff, every time I hit the breaks the back end of the car clicked, there were only five radio stations 3 spanish stations, one new station that repeats its songs and one 80's station which is the one we stuck with (it totally suited the car), there wasn't even a spot for a tape or a cd to be played, all the mirrors had to be adjusted by hand, the key was bent and there was no power steering. LOL it was a wreck but it got us through LA, which by the way is a horrible place drive.  I love driving but all I wanted to do was take the car back to the hostel and leave it in the underground parking until we had to return it.  Everyone runs red lights, people pull out in front of you and cut you off left right and centre and everyone honks constantly and don't forget the no power steering.  The guy at the car rental place said "when turning left and the light turns red don't turn right away because people will run the reds and when it is green don't pull out right away make sure everyone is done running red lights. But DON'T BE AGRESSIVE. It's easy you shouldnt have a problem"  ....? after all that how can I not be aggressive.  LOL.
We drove down to Venice beach and got some lunch and then headed towards West Hollywood where we wanted to hand out resume's.  Well, having a car gave us some freedom and we got really side tracked.  We drove through Beverly Hills and Down Rodeo Drive.  It is a completely different world there.  Everything is so prestine looking.  It's so manicured with it's white buildings, spotless sidewalks and every designer store you can imagine.  Even the cars were high end, we were definately slumming it on Rodeo lol, it was worse slumming it through Laguna Beach in a Dodge Charger with Pauly.
Anyways we decided to drive through the hills. So we drove through windy hills and up streets that were so steep I thought the car was going to roll back so I leaned forward hoping it would help.  We got lost in Bel Air (I think it was Bel Air).  The streets were so narrow and so windy, we kept hitting dead ends and I could barley turn corners because without power steering ShitHeap (the name we gave the car) liked to make wide turns.  I had to come to a complete stop turn the steering wheel all the way and then proceed, it was awful, I almost hit someone because the car turned so wide.  Very cautiously and white knuckled we made our way to Mullholand Drive (we never got to handing out resume's that day) My Vertigo kicked in sometimes, it was like I could feel the hight all around me but it was well worth it.  We drove to a viewing point and looked out over The Valley,  the Freeway and the Hollywood Sign.  It was really beautiful.  Did you know that Hollywood was originally Hollywood Land?  A landslide came and took out the word Land so they just left it lol.  Now you know.
After a long day of driving I finally get to park ShitHeap and have a beer, or so I thought.  Justin my other flat mate asked if I could give him a lift so back in the car I get. Perfect. Rush hour.  Within five minutes I got pulled over by the cops, GREAT.  COP: Hi there my name is officer so and so may I please see your liscence and registration?  Do you know why I pulled you over? ME: Absolutely not (I hand him my liscence and rental papers)  this is my first time ever driving in LA and I just rented this car today.  COP: Where did you rent this car from?  ME: Rent a Reck COP: haha I can see that (he keeps laughing)  ME: Trust me I would love to rent something nicer  COP (hands me back my liscence and papers) you see that sign there you cant turn left here. you have really pretty eyes.  Be careful or someone will give you a ticket. Have yourself a nice day  ME: (looking at Justin)  It helps being a girl.  JUSTIN: Fuck Emmie they would've nailed me ME:  I know ahah.  So I turn around pull up to the light and make a right JUSTIN: Emmie you can't turn while pedestrians are crossing! . As he says this he looks out the window and the cop was standing there smiling shaking his head.  HAHA what a day.  The next day Dallas and I actually get out to job search but barley got out any resume's due to the fact nobody would take them because we were looking for cash work and nobody was interested.  Another day gone and no job so what do we do haha party.  There was a party at our hostel that night.  It was a blast.  We met these three really rad Aussie's, Amy, Kate and Garth, all siblings traveling together.  They will actually be back here in a few weeks and want to meet up, they texted me today so I am pretty stoked.  The party was great everyone had a blast. Though I was really confused the next morning when Justin was all dressed up from the night before, I thought he was going to work but that wasn't the case.  He ended up passing out in the party room and had just made it upstairs with swollen eyes.  And I mean swollen eyes. Have you ever seen anyone with swollen eyes before?  i thought I had until I saw Justin on Saturday morning.  His eyes were these round balls sticking so far out i thought they would pop out of the sockets; I'm surprised he could even blink lol it was so funny.  Then I hear a very confused half asleep voice from Dallas's bunk "why am I naked?"  and then me going "how did I get to bed?" it was so funny but so painful.
That night I went over to Ella's for a girls night and some drinks. A few drinks later her, Nathan (her new flat mate) and I head over to the Bungalow (hostel) for some drinks, Justin and then off to the Saddle Ranch for a crazy night of music and drinks.  SOOO MUCH FUN but so much pain the next day lol but well worth it.
Sunday was a chill day for all of us, Justin and I were hung over after two nights of drinking and Ryan had gone to a Rave on Saturday and drank with us on Friday so we were limited to a day on the couch with junk food and movies.
Then it's Monday. The begging of a new week and time to get myself a job.  As much as I wanted a job bartending I knew it would be next to impossible. No bar would hire me without a Visa which I dont have.  So what do I do Craigslist.  Man do I love Cragslist.  I looked up and out my picture to any promotion, or promo model add in the Los Angeles Area.  20 emails and 3 hours later I had 3 interviews.  Guess what.  I GOT A JOB!  Two of them to be exact.  One is for this promotion company promoting the high end clubs in Hollywood and promoting big parties. Dallas and I both got the job together, and the address of the head office is 90210 Beverly Hills!  No joke!  My first task is promoting this Sunday nights event at Ecco Nightclub. It's Usher's CD Listening party and the man himself is going to be there.  Fucking amazing.  My other job is working at private celebrity functions. They are B and C celebrities but it's still a pretty cool job.  The best about both of them is they are cash paying so it's golden. I am super stoked.  Plus the owner of the second one is friends with Mr. Hugh Heffner and I have been invited for Sunday Poker at the Mansion.  Yup thats right the Playboy Mansion.
Well I hope you have enjoyed yet another one of my entries.  I have to go get ready as Dallas and I are going to two night clubs tonight, no line no cover to check them out and start promoting.  LA LA LAND is right!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment